Friday, January 18, 2013

Memories, pt 1


While I had a few spare minutes this eve, I wanted to post a few pics I have from my former conductor days. Some of these have been posted elsewhere but I thought I'd throw them on here in case anyone would like to see some of the beautiful scenery I got to enjoy every trip.


Departing Manchester, Ga, on northbound train Q214 with SD50 8613 in the lead. I think our second out engine was an SD40-2


If you ever get the chance to visit Manchester, they have a really nice area to watch from.


Crossing West Point Lake.
Standing Rock, Al.

I think this was the leftovers from Q689's derailment the previous day.

If I remember correctly, they put 16 cars on the ground due to a defect in the crossing at the top of the pic.
More carnage.

And even more carnage.


Coming around to the south end of Roanoke.


Old Coast Line searchlight, SE Roanoke. Also the location of one of our repeater towers.

Former A.B.&A depot in Roanoke. Unfortunately this structure burned and collapsed not long after I left the railroad. A tragic loss.
Rounding the curve into Phillip's flats. This portion of the line ran via a bottom formed by the High Pine Creek. It was also one of the few areas we could do 50 mph once out of the curve.

Running along the Tallapoosa River, somewhere around Malone, AL. This area was very remote and on quite a few trips you could catch a bobcat or bald eagle.
Highest point on the former ACL at Highland, AL.
Waiting in the hole for a southbound coal train (probably T101 , 108 or 109), at Weathers, AL. This area was the toughest stretch of grade and this guy was probably making all of 12 mph if even that much. 
 Anyway a few of the pics I have. Unfortunately I never made a lot of pictures which is one of my biggest regrets. I do have a few more I'll post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment